He thinks we should leave the "civilized world" and move to a nice, warm island where we can concentrate on finding ripe coconuts, good bananas, the odd lobster and where the doings of the
Fundament of Borgistas will not so oppress us.
He raises the following points:
- The Turks describe their Indian Reservation in NW Syria as being a "no-fly" zone for their favorite non-IS rebels. These include the Nusra front.
- The US anti-IS czar, General (ret.) Allen USMC says it is not a no-fly zone.
- Who is going to defend this Indian Reservation?
- The Turks have now graciously given us access to four air bases that we built and maintained on their territory. We did this because they were once something like NATO allies of the United States.
- The Turkish Deputy PM has once again insulted a woman member of parliament by telling her that she should shut up BECAUSE she is a woman. We need allies like the Erdogan government? Oh, I forgot we have other allies like that, the Saudis!
- The Turkish Air Force has now begun to bomb installations of the PKK. This is a problem for the US since the other Kurds; PM, YPG, etc. do not share Turkey's view of the PKK and the various Kurdish groups are the only people effectively fighting IS. We (Allen) traded the Turks our de facto agreement to this in return for the use of the air bases? Have we considered the fact that Turkey may now become unstable over this intervention? I hope someone is thinking about air base security.
- An unnamed "senior US official" said today that the US does not seek the military defeat of the Syrian Government. No? You could have fooled me. Oh, I forgot (getting old) that we hope that Assad will decide to commit personal and national suicide by allowing us to jaw-bone him into leaving.
- Kurdish and Syrian government forces have driven IS back from Hasakah in NE Syria. Will the Turks accept that or will they bomb IS's enemies there because they are Kurds and Syrian Government? US air reportedly put in 10 strikes at Hasakah to help with the anti-IS effort. We are not helping the Syrian Government?
I suggest a de-confliction office somewhere to prevent US/Turkish/Syrian engagements.
Marcus and I will continue to discuss the possibility of escape. I am thinking of Bora Bora. I remember the old San Miguel ad that began "I was standing on the beach at Bora Bora..." pl,