I offer some thoughts on the situation:
- The NATO Treaty is US law. If the French invoke Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty we must accept that appeal and go to war alongside them. If we do not, then NATO is finished. If our response to the Article 5 request requires American ground troops, so be it. Fish or cut bait.
- The politics of 2016 has reduced the statements of the various candidates to gibberish in which they spout slogans at each other seeking the attention of the Borg and the ignorant. An example would be the statement just now made to Jake Tapper by Jeb Bush that the Syrian government is as much a threat to Syrian Christians as is the Islamic state and the other Sunni jihadis. Of course, anyone who knows anything about Syria knows that the large Christian population views the Syrian government as their sole protectors from the jihadis. Jeb or el-jebe as he is sometimes known in the Latino world also "thinks" that a US no-fly zone in Syria as a grand idea. IS does not have an air force so such a no-fly zone would be intended to prevent Syria air force and Russian air force intrusion. This would mean war with Russia. Where does he get such "thoughts?" He gets them from the same neocons who were his dumb-dumb brother's advisers and who seduced and lied us all into invading Iraq as part of their grand scheme to reduce the countries of the ME to chaos.
- Obama is in Turkey conferring with Erdogan, the Saudi king and the emir of Qatar. as to how to combat IS. This is a joke! All of these are sponsors of IS and the other Sunni jihadi movements. Senator Lindsey Graham just told Tapper that we (the US) should lead an army of Arabs and THE TURKS into the fight. Of course, Graham is a wholly owned property of Izrul. Whatever mind "he" has in regard to the ME was carefully sculpted by them while writing upon the tabula rasa that was his brain before they began their work. But even "he" should know that Erdogan's Turkey is an ally of IS and will never, never participate in a serious move against IS. Actually, Kemalist Turkey is dead and will probably not be seen again.
- At least one (probably three) of the Paris attackers probably entered Europe as part of the migrant flow that passed through Erdogan's Turkey. One man was registered by the Greeks government on Leros and then was again registered in a Croatian refugee shelter. The really operative part of this tale is that this or these people traveled through Turkey unmolested by the Turkish police and security services. I once lived in Turkey and even then these services were ubiquitous and aggressive. So, IMO Erdogan has passed these people through and sent them on their mission. Just look at his face as he walks around at Antalya. That is the cat who has eaten the canary.
- People who think that the US homeland is not threatened by a Paris type event are wrong. We have large resident populations who are disaffected and subject to jihadi recruitment. Such an attack does not require many strikers. We have tough police but the possibility of jihadi success is always there. Our borders are long and not really secure. IMO the Canadian border is even more insecure than that with Mexico. There are a lot of places in northern New England and New York state where you can easily walk across the border between border entry points and then be picked up by someone waiting for you. The US is saturated with firearms and the materials with which to make explosives. The pattern in Paris was evidently local French and Belgian national jihadis born of Muslim immigrants combined with reinforcements sent in as stiffening for the home team. This is a viable model for attacks in the US. A question for me is why the attackers carried their travel documents into the attacks. Was this a search for recognition? That could be.
- What would my strategy be if I were emperor of the world?
* Europe must put back up its border controls.
* Erdogan's program for a Muslim invasion by inundation of Europe must be ended. Send them back to their home countries.
* Accept the idea that in a UN supervised election Assad may win. Hilary Mann Leveritt pointed out yesterday that in an election a couple of years ago that included the Syrian refugee diaspora, Assad won. The Borgist TV anchor nearly had apoplexy.
* Defeat and destroy IS in Syria and Iraq. To do this we must accept the cooperation of all who wish fight IS and any other jihadis. That would include Russia, Hizbullah and Iran.