Summing up at this point in time:
- Lieutenant Gordin is declared dead by the IDF. The government faced a wave of public hysteria that would have tied their hands. This declaration restores some of their freedom of action.
- Marc Regev, Bibi's spokesman told Blitzer today that Palestinian civilian casualties in Gaza have been "greatly exagerated" by "forces hostile to Israel." Frank Luntz should be very proud of such disciples.
- The IDF says it has "nearly finished the job" in destroying "teghor (terror) tunnels." Why is it that they can find these infiltration routes into "Isghael" (Israel) now and could not before? Simple. The US started giving them Ground Penetrating Radar imagery a week or so ago. Before that they were blind mice searching for holes in the ground. they are understandably annoyed that they did not have their hands in this US cookie bowl before.
- In return for this gift Qbama wanted a cease fire. What he got was an arrogant response that demanded a public endorsement of all Israeli action. Obama read that to the world in his press conference. Given the language of his recitation there seems little doubt that the text was dictated by Israel.
- Did he receive a cease fire in return? No, there was an incident, ambiguous in timing, that served as a pretext for a flamingly hubristic tirade on Israeli national TV in which Bibi declared his defiance and contempt for all those who frustrate his nationalist ambitions.
- The US administration's response to this is yet more submission to Tel Aviv.
- Nevertheless, it can be seen at this point that while Isrel has triumphed politically and militarily at the tactical level, it is defeated at the strategic level. Hamas yet lives and continues to resist the fire storm of air strikes, artillery bombardment and ground action. That very steadfastness places Israel in the position of eventually having to make a choice with regard to the Palestinians between actual, serious, bargaining or extermination. The Israili government and populous have chosen to believe that sufficient brutal force, if widely applied, would separate the resistance from the people . That has failed no matter how much the Israilis would like to believe otherwise. At the same time, political support ofr Israel is disintegrating across the world. This is defeat. pl