"Even Democratic pollster Peter Hart, one half of the bipartisan team that puts together the monthly Wall Street Journal-NBC News poll, now puts Mr. Obama’s chances of re-election “at no better than 50-50.”
According to the average of eight national polls released in the two weeks until May 23, and compiled by Real Clear Politics, Mr. Obama has a marginal 1.8 percentage point lead over Mr. Romney.
The presidential race is effectively a dead heat.
The turnaround in Mr. Romney’s fortunes has stunned even his Republican allies, leading to a Wednesday headline in Politico, the U.S. capital’s political newspaper, reading: “GOP discovers that Mitt Romney could win.”
Of course, the national polls are of secondary importance, since the election will be decided in fewer than 10 swing states, as each candidate aims to accumulate the required 270 electoral college votes required to claim the Oval Office." Globe and Mail
Last week someone rebuked me for quoting Foxnews. How about a newspaper in Canadia? "Terre de mes aieux..." Well, some of them were from there.
Given the persona of Romney and the inherent advantage of incumbency, IMO BHO should be well ahead nationally.
He is not. Why?
Factors against Obama:
- A lot of people are secret racists and would never vote for him.
- A lot of people don't like his "European Socialist Policies." Most of those do not know what that means, but, no matter.
- Public confidence in the national economy is a "lagging indicator" in the public mind and the economy is only dimly understood by tens of millions of people who nevertheless are enfranchised.
- His left of center administration tends instinctively to take positions that irritate many in the US in the belief that non-"progressives" are not worth listening to.
* Gay marriage is one of those.
* An embroiled court room battle with the Catholic Church is another.
- There is deep suspicion that the tendency to embrace "progress" will be unfettered in a second term.
- Some Jews and other Zionists think him not friendly enough to Israel and they are doiong all they can to beat him.
Factors for Obama:
- Romney himself who seems to be completely incapable of identifying with non-rich people.
- Romney's polytheistic religion.
- Bain, the "vulture capital company."
- Romney's entourage of neocon foreign policy advisers.
- Women. Blacks and Hispanics are going to "stick with" Obama.
Think of a few more. pl